Try Mountain Biking? How?
In support of our vision to enable every New Jersey teenager to experience NICA, we are proud to offer our “Try it Out” program beginning in the spring of 2018. Many students interested in joining our league have never ridden a mountain bike. Many do not have a bicycle. Many more are not even aware of our program. Additionally, our female participation numbers are below NICA’s national average.
The Try it Out initiative seeks to address these concerns! It is meant to afford these students an opportunity to meet their local NICA Team, Coaches and League Staff at organized fun rides. “So you are saying there are mountain bike teams all over New Jersey, and I can Try it Out for free?! No way!” Yes, way!
Every new student who participates in a Try it Out ride during the 2018 calendar year will receive a commemorative t-shirt, showing friends and family that they tried mountain biking with the NJICL!
Several rides on the schedule each year will be all-girl affairs in full support of our NICA Girls Riding Together (GRiT) & NJ Girls Rock! initiatives.
How it Works
We deliver a trailer full of high quality mountain bikes, helmets and gear to communities throughout the state. Dates and locations are coordinated with existing teams or teams trying to form at their local high school or middle school. The local coaching staff or potential coaching staff can use the event to bolster community interest in NICA and mountain biking.
We take safety very seriously in NICA, in fact it is our primary concern. Rides are led by trained, certified, insured and background checked NICA Coaches registered with the New Jersey League. Parents, school administrators and potential local team supporters are encouraged to attend the event and check out what NICA has to offer.
How to Contact Us
To request a ride at your school, local trails or park, and for general league questions, please contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ May 5th, 2p – 5p: Lewis Morris Park (Race venue) Doe Meadow Rd, Morristown, NJ 07960
▪ May 12th, noon – 4p, Six Mile Run State Park, Jacques Lane Lot (GRiT ride!) 102 Jacques Ln, Somerset, NJ 08873
▪ June 2nd, 2p – 5p, Six Mile Run State Park (Race venue), Jacques Lane Lot 102 Jacques Ln, Somerset, NJ 08873
▪ June 9th, 2p – 5p, Rowan College at Gloucester County (Race venue) 1400 Tanyard Rd, Sewell, NJ 08080
▪ July 22 – Lewis Morris Park, noon to 4p, (GRiT ride!) Doe Meadow Rd, Morristown, NJ 07960
▪ Sept 30 – Ringwood State Park – Shepards Farm, Try it Out and GRiT ride at the Nj Mountain Bike Festival! www.newjerseymountainbikefestival.com
▪ Oct 13th – Try it Out – Cedar Grove 9am – noon. Cedar Grove Community Park, Slattery Drive, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009
▪ Oct 20 – HCBMX Try it Out (BMX) 314 Rt 12 North, Flemington, NJ 08822
Oct 27th – Try it Out – High Bridge, 9a – noon, 8 Nassau Rd, High Bridge, NJ 08829 ** Postponed due to rain!
▪ Nov 3rd – Try it Out – High Bridge, 9a – noon, 8 Nassau Rd, High Bridge, NJ 08829
▪ Nov 4th – Try it Out – Chester – Highland Ridge Park, 9am-noon.
▪ Nov 17th – Try it Out – Camden County / Cherry Hill – Croft Farms, 100 Bortons Mill Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034. 10 am – 2 pm. Sign up for the Camden ride here: https://ccmtbcrew.eventbrite.com
▪ Nov 18th – Try it Out – Bordentown – Joseph Lawrence Park, 316 Ward Ave, Bordentown, NJ 08505. 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm.
Check out FB page and our Events calendar for updates!
We have many more opportunities to Try it Out this year, and will update the schedule regularly!
NJ’s Try it Out program was made possible thanks to a grant from the Tina and Richard V. Carolan Foundation, who fully funded the program from its inception. With their incredibly generous support, the future is very bright for our league and the youth of New Jersey.
Welcome to the NJ Mountain Biking Revolution!